How To Use Essential Oil Diffusers
Essential oils can have either an invigorating or tranquilizing effect and their positive impact on health cannot be overstated. They have been used in aromatherapy for thousands of years and there are reasons for that. Certain blends of essential oils will give you stimulation and can be a great alternative to excessive coffee consumption. According to Medical News Today, some volatile oils, such as ginger and lavender, help relieve neuropathic pain. They aid in relaxation, stress relief, and can even help you breathe easier. On top of that, inhaling essential oils will simply make you feel happier, especially when you fill your diffuser with vanilla or rose scents.
Which Essential Oil Diffuser To Choose?
To begin with, you should know that essential oils can be of different types, however, rules for their usage are approximately the same. Now, let’s take a brief look at these types.
Based on ultrasonic technology, these devices use electronic frequencies to break the essential oils into tiny particles. They require water, which allows you to use such diffusers as humidifiers. They do not produce strong smells and are recommended for small spaces. The advantage of this option is the variety of designs, while the downside lies in the fact that you will have to clean the device quite often to prevent clogging. Also, you should not use such a diffuser with citrus essential oils as they can erode the vibrating plate over time.
There is a variety of ultrasonic models on the market and one of the most popular models is ASAKUKI Diffuser, which has multiple functions, 7 LED light colors and a high-capacity water tank.
These devices diffuse essential oils without altering their chemical compounds. Nebulizers are based on atomizing technology, in which the pumped air pushes the oils to the top, creating vapors. Nebulizing diffusers are capable of producing large amounts of vapors at a time, which makes them the best choice for health therapy. The strong point of this type is that they are low-maintenance, cover large areas and do not need to be filled with water. There are also some downsides, though: they are not good for thick oils and can be too noisy.
Take a look at Aromis Nebulizer. Made from natural wood and glass, it is a professional-grade diffuser that can be efficiently used for therapeutic purposes.
This option is for those who need a quietly operating device for small-sized spaces. For this reason, heat diffusers, such as Singeek Ceramic Essential Oil Burner, are the best bet for offices. They use either an electric heating element or candle to help the oils evaporate into the air. These devices are inexpensive but not so safe as the other types, which is why you should take all the necessary precaution measures to eliminate a fire risk when using them.
These devices utilize airflow to spread the aroma throughout your space. You just drop essential oils on a pad and the fan blows air through it. The downside to this method is that the blend of oils does not evaporate simultaneously, with the lighter oils being diffused first. An illustrative example of this type is PureGuardian Evaporative Aroma Diffuser which is plugged into a USB port and is particularly recommended for those who want to use an oil diffuser while on the go.
How To Use An Essential Oil Diffusers
While aroma diffusers are easy to use, there are some rules you should follow to make sure you do everything right.
- Choose the best location for your diffuser. The device should be placed on a flat surface in an open area of a room and out of reach of children and pets. Do not put it near the window, air conditioners or under direct sunlight. If you want to place the device on a wooden surface, put a towel underneath it. You can use it in the bathroom, bedroom (before going to sleep), living room (if you host a party) or outdoors to repel pests.
- Some people have allergic reaction to essential oils. For this reason, do not place your diffuser in a room where there is someone with allergies. Also, essential oils can be toxic to cats and cause eye discharge.
- Keep the device away from food and drinks.
- If you have opted for an ultrasonic or heat model, add water. Remove the lid and fill the tank with warm and clean water. Filtered water is preferable as it will make the unit’s maintenance easier. Make sure that the amount of water does not exceed the maximum allowed level, specified in the user’s manual.
- Add essential oils. These liquids are highly concentrated, meaning that a few drops of essential oil will be enough for effective aromatherapy. Experts suggest putting about 4-5 drops of essential oils at a time. If your diffuser comes with a water tank, the capacity of the latter determines how many drops you should put.The ratio is about 5 drops per 100 ml of water.
- Use blends of oils. Keep in mind that you can use not only one type of oil but also a blend of different oils for better results. And yet, you should not mix too many oils, nor should you blend oils that have different therapeutic effects — tranquilizing and invigorating. The best option is to purchase ready to use blends, such as Healing Solutions Essential Oil Set which includes six blends for different purposes: improving breathing and sleep, relieving headaches, stress, and sore muscles.
- Activate the device. Depending on the model, you will need to press a button, plug the unit into a USB port or light the candle. Advanced models, such as URPOWER diffuser, come with the auto shut-off feature and have two modes of operation: intermittent and continuous.
- Run it no longer than 30 minutes straight. Longer operation will not give you additional benefits. Even worse, excessive exposure to essential oils is likely to cause nausea, headaches and respiratory issues.
Check out this video to see how to use an essential oil diffuser, with DoTerra diffuser provided as an example.
How To Clean An Essential Oil Diffuser?
Your diffuser may not work well enough if you do not maintain it properly. The leftovers of oils may affect the efficiency of the newly added oils and in this case, you will not get the full benefit from the therapy. Below, you will find some tips on how to clean your device.
- Clean it regularly, at least once a month.
- If your diffuser is an electric device, disconnect it from the power outlet before cleaning.
- Soak a cloth in the water and wipe away oil leftovers from the device. Rinse it out thoroughly, including the edges, but make sure that electronic elements on the outside of the unit do not get wet.
- Plastic or ceramic surfaces need to be cleaned with warm and soapy water. But never use harsh detergents.
- You may fill the device with vinegar that will dissolve accumulated minerals and other substances. Let it sit for about half an hour. This option is particularly recommended for cleaning glass diffusers.
- Let the device air dry and never plug the unit in while it is wet.
What Essential Oils To Diffuse?
Choosing the proper essential oil is crucial as some of them will boost your energy while others, on the contrary, help you relax and calm down. So what are the best solutions?
- Cedarwood oil works by releasing melatonin, a hormone regulating your sleep cycle. As experts from Genesis College put it, this substance has a unique warm smell and is widely used in aromatherapy because of its relaxing properties.
- Geranium oil will enhance your emotional wellness and make you feel more optimistic. According to specialists at Renaissance College, this oil works great on the body, mind, and spirit. Apart from having a balancing effect, geranium oil is widely applied in skincare.
- Chamomile oil helps to calm down and get rid of anger. The oil has a sweet scent and is capable of relieving pain. This is a very powerful aroma, so you may not want to blend it with other scents. By the way, you may be surprised to learn that chamomile and lavender essential oils are used to relax shelter dogs.
- Lavender oil has multiple purposes, ranging from relaxation and relieving stress to improving sleep. According to Healthline, it can be helpful for relieving headaches, nausea as well as reducing mild pain.
- Lemongrass oil will help you stay awake and can relieves irritation. Moreover, you can use it to purify the air and repel pests. Experts at Mayo Clinic recommend lemongrass oil against headaches.
- Peppermint oil is good for those who are on a diet because of its ability to make people feel full after eating. Besides, this substance can relieve headaches and improves attention. Those who love to do fitness will also find peppermint oil useful. This aroma makes workouts more effective as it invigorates and supports respiratory functions.